Home | Local History | Historic Properties
  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 906.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_join_nodehierarchy_ancestor::construct() should be compatible with views_join::construct($table = NULL, $left_table = NULL, $left_field = NULL, $field = NULL, $extra = Array, $type = 'LEFT') in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/nodehierarchy/includes/views/nodehierarchy.views.inc on line 146.
  • strict warning: Declaration of calendar_plugin_display_page::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin_display_page::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_display_page.inc on line 297.
  • strict warning: Declaration of calendar_plugin_display_page::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_display_page.inc on line 297.
  • strict warning: Declaration of calendar_plugin_display_block::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_display_block.inc on line 78.
  • strict warning: Declaration of calendar_plugin_display_attachment::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin_display_attachment::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_display_attachment.inc on line 242.
  • strict warning: Declaration of calendar_plugin_display_attachment::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_display_attachment.inc on line 242.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 744.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_boolean_operator::value_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::value_validate($form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter_boolean_operator.inc on line 159.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_style_default::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_style_default.inc on line 24.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 134.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /home/windsor/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 134.

Main Street

205 Main Street

First Bank Site

This tiny little building was the site of New Windsor's first bank, named appropriately, the First National Bank of New Windsor. Chartered in 1860, the bank suffered a robbery in 1869, causing quite a bit of excitement in town. Apparently, at the time, the second floor of the building was unoccupied and the robbers made their access through a second story window. There's a bit of a discrepancy in the various accounts about how much was actually stolen and in what sort of breakdown - Thomas J. Scharff said it was $100K, F. J.

Academy For Young Ladies: 315 Main Street

Academy for Young Ladies

Built around 1854, this house, set back off Main Street, served as an academy of higher learning for young ladies in New Windsor. It was originally the home of Isaac Blizzard and had served as Andrew Baker's school for awhile before he built the larger buildings that were to become Calvert College.

Anders House: 208-210 Main Street

Anders House

Underneath the modern clapboard, this is a log structure and was built on Lots #18 and #19, though #18 was purchased first By 1818, John Mitten owned both lots, holding them until 1842. Mitten ran a hotel here for a brief time and sold the property to his son-in-law, Jesse Lambert, who opened a harness shop. In 1899, William "Uncle Billy" Anders bought the property and opened a candy store,

Ark Store

Ark Store

Sitting at the corner of High and Main, the store was so-named because it was said to carry two of everything from A to Z. This was Lot #22, purchased in 1796 by Daniel Stoner, and a store was erected here in 1798. It was sold in 1801 to John Dagen, a merchant and apparently related to the Stoners. Dagen operated a store here until 1821 at which point it was purchased by William Pole. Pole had most likely been renting the property out as the advertisement offering it for sale mentions that it is currently occupied by Mr. J. Barthlow.

The Atlee House, 120 Water Street

Atlee House

This large 6-bay house was the home of the founder of the town, Isaac Richardson Atlee.

Brownie's Corner

Brownie's Corner

Once the popular hangout for the neighborhood youngsters from the 1920's until the 1950's, this corner was the original site of the town fountain (now re-located to the town park at the corner of Main and Rte. 75). For many years, it was the only source of water in town until running water came to town in 1908.

Bloom House: 110 Main Street

Bloom House

Once the home of A. W. Bloom, who ran an ice cream and diary store in town, this was better known as the home of sisters Estelle and Marian Bloom, who consorted with the well-known authors H. L. Mencken and Theodore Dreiser, frequent visitors to New Windsor.

Brethren Service Center: 500 Main Street

Brethren Service Center

Originally, the site of several colleges over the years, it became the home of the Brethren Center in 1944 and has been very active in relief activities throughout the world ever since.The original building was Old Main, the large white building shown below in the center.

Daniel Stouffer House: 212 Main Street

Daniel Stouffer House

During the Civil War, General Bradley T. Johnson used this house for a headquarters. As the general had connections to Stouffer's wife, their store in town was one of the few properties that was not looted by the Confederate soldiers when they came through town. Nathan Baile purchased the house in 1872 and added a rear addition in 1898. At the time he purchased the house, Nathan was the cashier at the First National Bank of New Windsor, located across the street.

Dielman Inn: 137-141 Main Street

Dielman Inn

From 1864 to 1927, the Dielman family, well-known in musical circles, operated the Dielman Inn in what had been the Whitehall Tavern run by James Atlee. The buildings date back to the early 1800's and were located on two of the original town lots (#6 and #7).

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 3 guests online.

User login