Home | Local History | Historic Properties | Main Street

Dielman Inn: 137-141 Main Street

Dielman Inn

From 1864 to 1927, the Dielman family, well-known in musical circles, operated the Dielman Inn in what had been the Whitehall Tavern run by James Atlee. The buildings date back to the early 1800's and were located on two of the original town lots (#6 and #7).

Though many have assumed that Isaac Atlee set up his original tavern on this location, but that actually doe not turn out to be likely. Lot #7 was sold by Atlee to John Dagan in 1801 and Lot #6 to Emanuel Brower, Jr. in 1797. Brower, in turn, sold his lot to William Pole in 1814 for $1400, and it appears to have been somewhat developed by that point (unimproved lots were going for $200. Dagan sold his lot to Christopher Ecker in 1815 for only $200, so that lot was not likely to have been developed yet. By 1818, advertisements were appearing for sales of property, such sales occurring at Ecker's tavern, but it is not known if he had erected such a place by then or was simply running an establishment next door for William Pole.

After William Pole's death, his trustees sold #6, advertising it in 1841 as having "a large and well built log house, weather-boarded and painted, and has been occupied as a tavern for many years..." The property was purchased by James Atlee and sold to Thomas Barthlow in 1846. Barthlow soon advertised the property as follows:

"...having purchased Col. Atlee's White Hall Buildings, will be prepared by the 1st day of July next, to accomodate those who may wish to enjoy a comfortable retreat during the summer... the known Medical Qualities of [sic] the water, the utility of Cold and Warm Bathing, the salubrity of the place and romantic country around it are considerations that ought not to be overlloked by the Spring going community...Medical attendance will always be at hand, and Bowling Saloons and other means of healthful exercise always in readiness."1

Patrons could enjoy Barthlow's retreat for $5.00 per week, with children and pets at half price. When Barthlow died in 1850, a trustee took over the property and offerd it for sale in 1856, after which point Louis Dielman bought it, the deed being dated 1874.

For many years, visitors to New Windsor could browse through the large collection of town artifacts that Julia Ann Roop Cairns had put on display in the shop she ran in the old inn. Described by a visitor as being more of a museum than a shop, the Boxwood Antiques shop was well-known to antiques shoppers in the area and the sign remained in place for years after Julia was no longer living on the premises. Afte rher death in 2010, the property was ulitmately sold to the town of New Windsor, where its fate is somewhat undecided at the moment.

The picture below was taken in 2005 and shows the facade as it appeared before the large trees in front were all removed a few years ago.

  • 1. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties - New Windsor

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 1 guest online.

User login